Nutrition – Keep it simple!!

Whatever you are looking to achieve from your training (weight loss, weight gain, improved athletic performance, improved health etc.) there is one factor that ultimately holds the key to you achieving your goals – Nutrition.

Think about it, even if you are very dedicated to your training and you train 6 times a week for 90 min – that’s 9 hours a week. What you eat, how it is processed in your body and how it affects your body is an ongoing process, 24/7 – that’s 168 hours a week!!!
Too many people take the attitude that “oh I train hard so I can eat what I want”. Really?? What’s the point of putting in all the hard work in the gym and then p*ss it away with your food. Apologies for the language but as you can imagine in my line of work, where results are key, hearing this from clients is very frustrating.
Another thing that really annoys me (and I’m not easily annoyed J) is people looking for shortcuts when it comes to nutrition. Fad diets, magic pills, diet shakes, weight watchers (do not get me started on weight watchers) etc. I could rant about these for hours – but I won’t. The way to a healthier, happier you is through a nutritionally balanced diet. It’s about consistency!! You didn’t put on that 4 stone over the last 6 weeks, so don’t expect to lose it in 6 weeks.
Below are 8 basic guidelines that will provide a solid foundation to any nutrition plan. They are easy to follow but very important;
   Always eat breakfast
    Eat regularly throughout the day
     Try to consume your carbohydrates post workout
     Eat plenty of foods that are high in protein
       Drink plenty of water
       Avoid heavily processed foods
     Ensure plenty of variety in your diet
    Minimise alcohol consumption
 
These are just some, but not all, of the general guidelines to establishing healthy eating patterns. Like I said earlier – it is about consistency. There is no point eating healthy one week and pigging out for the next 2 weeks, which will get you nowhere. Try to apply the 80:20 rule – if you are good consistently 80% of the time, the other 20% will look after itself.
Like training, nutrition needs to be somewhat personalised. Everybody has different goals, intolerances, allergies etc. For more specific nutrition plans and advice please don’t hesitate to contact me.
In the coming weeks I will go into more detail with regards different areas of nutrition but for now try to implement some of the tips above and you will be off to a good start. Happy eating guys J
Steve Barry

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s