The Sun newspaper has reported that One Direction are splitting for at least a year. A source reportedly told The Sun newspaper’s Dan Wootton: ‘The guys have been together for five years, which is an incredible run for any boyband. They fully deserve to have at least a year to work on their own projects. There is absolutely no bad blood between them and they are all 100 per cent behind the decision’.
According to newspaper reports, their last show will be at Mortorpoint Arena in Sheffield on October 31.
The English-Irish pop boy band was formed on the UK X Factor in 2010 and have since gone on to conquer music charts worldwide. The boyband, now comprising of Niall Horan, Harry Styles, Liam Payne and Louis Thomlinson have had a tough year since Zayn Malik left the band earlier this year.
Liam hinted about taking some time off during a recent interview with Free Radio. He said ‘you know, I think everyone needs a little bit of a break now, and a sit down and a stop, to kind of take in all the great things that have happened’. When asked what he wants to do during their time off, he said ‘there are loads of things. I’ve been writing a lot on the road at the moment, not for me, just for other people’.
According to The Sun article, other members of the band will be furthering their own solo careers. Harry is being tipped to go solo and it’s been reported that Sony are interested in making an offer. Niall is reportedly interested in launching a solo career and has apparently started writing with Justin Bieber. Louis will be busy with this personal life as he’s set to become a dad in the near future.
Twitter was flooded with inconsolable fans after the announcement. Professor Green even chimed in with ‘so there wasn’t only one direction after all,’